Monday, July 6, 2015

McCalls 6074 Flared knit maxi...



A maxi for the Maxi Dress sew-along...aka the seaweed dress.


This ITY knit fabric really does remind me of kelp!

When I saw it on Fabric Mart, it appeared to be more greenish, but it's shades of taupe. Pretty, but once I got it home, I couldn't figure out how to use it. It's a tricky print.

And along came M6074. It's simple, flowy, and flared. Perfect.


This has been reviewed so many time on Pattern Review, and it's mostly well-loved. I was a little unsure of the elastic gathering right under the bust. I'm full-busted and not at all perky...the gathers were a potential fail for me.

But the issue was easily fixed - I left off the gathers. And I really like how the dress looks and fits without them. The pattern doesn't have bust darts, but the lines of the bodice do a wonderful job without them.


A look at my inspiration - this beautiful flared knit maxi from Soft Surroundings, the Pretty Woman Dress.  The flare is so pretty - I've had this pic in my inspiration file for ages.

It's a true tank dress, and has a low back that matches the front.

I prefer back on the McCalls pattern. It's worry-free (no lingerie strap issues) and comfortable for me.

Missed on the back matching...shifty fabric on the cutting board. Oh well.
Sewing notes:
  • I sewed size 14, View C. I'll admit I was wary of it being too 'close' through the torso, so I used 1/2" seams on the sides, armhole to hem. It would be easy to make this dress more fitted, as in the Soft Surroundings pic.
  • ITY is such a great fabric - but it has a little weight to it and tends to drop quite a bit. Because I'm 5'7", I added 3" to the hemline when I cut out the pattern. Once sewn, I let the dress hang for a few days - and ended up cutting 3" off before I hemmed it.
  • The shoulders are fairly wide, to accomodate a 5/8" folded-in finish on the armholes. Which I don't like! I trimmed 3/8" at the top of the armhole, cured down each side. And applied self-fabric binding.
  • Easy-peasy V-neck finish! I bound the neckline first, then sewed and finished the center front seam. 

I love the width of the skirt and how it swirls around.



My bags are (almost) packed and ready to go to Ft. Myers this afternoon. Time for my annual kitty-sit while the 'kids' (Ashley and Darrin) are in San Diego for Comic Con. I made them both some new loop bracelets for the trip. I make them for David and Preston as well, in matching sets. David recently asked me for a replacement of the camo color. His fell apart after being worn in the pool for several months.


Have you made these things? It's an addictive activity while listening to the news. And they're fun. I have bands in 12 colors... I said it's addictive. So is buying the bands!

Bye for now, Coco

7 comments:

  1. Lovely dress! Nice and swishy for the hit days. Enjoy your grand kitty sitting. I know you and the kitties will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your dress Coco. I made the short version several times when the pattern first came out. Easy breezy summer comfort wear I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so cool and comfortable. Enjoy your trip too! I hope to make it to Comic Con one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! Have fun kitty sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! This looks like the perfect dress for swanning about :) I am in to the inspiration pic, too. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you've chosen View D and it looks fantastic in this fabric. I've used two colors in this fabric and really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, that's a really nice maxi! Fabulously swooshie for sure and I like the fabric on you.
    Happy kitty sitting.

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco